What is the Montenegro Citizenship by investment program?
Montenegro is a citizenship-by-investment program that requires a financial commitment of at least EUR 450,000 – inclusive of a donation of EUR 200,000. This program grants full Montenegrin citizenship and passport to successful applicants and their qualifying family members, and typically take 3 to 6 months to process.
Advantages of Montenegro Citizenship
- Dependents included:
- Dependent children
- No language requirement
- No residency requirement
- Member of the World Trade Organization (“WTO”) since 2011
- Official currency: Euro (since 2002)
- Official candidate for the Adhesion of the European Union (E.U) by 2025
- Visa-free travel/entry to 122 countries, including Schengen Area, Brazil, Russia, Turkey, Hong Kong and Singapore
- Access to USA via the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa
- Low cost and tax efficient jurisdiction
Montenegro Investment Options
- Donation of EUR 200,000 in a Government Fund
- Real estate investment of EUR 250,000 in the northern or central region of Montenegro
- Donation of EUR 200,000 in a Government Fund
- Real estate investment of EUR 450,000 in the Capital of Podgorica or the coastal region of Montenegro
Requirements to apply for Montenegro Citizenship Programme
- The main applicant must be at least 18 year’s old
- Ability to prove the source of funds intended to be used for the program
- No criminal record
- Investment to be maintained at least for 5 years
- Insurance policy in place to cover health insurance for the applicant and dependents
- Medical report confirming in good health
- Apply between 1st January 2021 and 31st December 2022
- Instruct international due diligence agent and pay appropriate fees: EUR 7,000 for single applicant, or EUR 10,000 for a family of 4 (Note: checks only apply to children over 18)
- Receive a positive opinion from the international due diligence agent
- Make a qualifying investment
- Receive Approval-in-Principle (program limited to 2000 decisions of admission)
To apply, the applicant must make a donation of EUR 200,000 in a government fund followed by a choice of either:
- A real estate investment of EUR 250,000 into development projects in undeveloped areas located in the northern or central region of Montenegro
- A real estate investment of EUR 450,000 into development projects in developed areas located in the Capital of Podogorica or the coastal region of Montenegro
The development projects which will benefit from the investments which are located in different areas of Montenegro are divided into two categories:
- Tourism – construction of hotel/mixed-type
- Agriculture and processing industry – a list of investment projects shall be provided by the Government at a later stage.
The applicant must hold his/her investment for at least 5 years.
There is no restriction on the nationality of the applicants.
The main applicant must be at least 18 years old but there is no maximum age to apply.
Yes – The main applicant must provide for him/her and his/her family a medical report showing that they are not suffering from contagious diseases.
Yes – Applicant and dependents must have insurance which covers healthcare in Montenegro.
Yes – This program should run until 31st of December 2022 and is limited to 2,000 decisions of admissions. Once the quota has been reached the program shall end
Spouse and children under 18 years old or above and dependent of the main applicant can be included.
Montenegro is an official candidate for the integration of the European Union (EU) since 2012. As per European Commission communications Montenegro “should” integrate the EU by 2025.
After EU accession, as a Montenegrin citizen you will be granted the same rights as other EU members, such as free movement to work, study and reside anywhere in the EU. Hence, by 2025 a Montenegrin citizen will be able to relocate temporarily or permanently to any country of the EU zone.
Up to 3 months upon submission. This processing time may vary depending of the complexity of the case.
All application fees should be paid prior submitting the application.
The donation & investment should be deposited on an ESCROW account prior the application.
No visit is required during the processing time. Once approved, the applicants are required to visit the country in order to submit their biometrics to apply for their ID documents.
The present document is intended for guidance and general information only and does not constitute or purport to provide you with legal advice. Such information is subject to changes without notice. Each case is unique and depends on the facts and circumstances of the individual and due consideration should be taken if applying the general information to your personal situation. For an evaluation of your personal circumstances one of our legal team would be happy to assist.
Read also: North Macedonia Citizenship