Citizenship and Family Inclusion
- Spouse or partner.
- Unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age.
Quality of Life
An expat-friendly environment and an international financial hub.
- Possibility to apply for permanent residency after 7 years of continuous ordinary residence.
- Invest in a diverse range of permissible asset classes and obtain residency in exchange.
Hong Kong CIES Requirements
- Main applicant must have net assets of not less than HKD30 million for the two years preceding the application.
- The main applicant must have an age of 18 or above.
- Main applicant must have a clean immigration record.
- Invest Hong Kong will assess whether the applicant fulfills the net asset and investment requirements.
Capital Investment Entrant Scheme Options
Invest HKD27 million or more in the following permissible asset classes:
This option involves purchasing shares of companies listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. It offers ownership in these companies, potentially yielding dividends and capital appreciation.
Invest in debt securities including fixed or floating rate instruments and convertible bonds issued or fully guaranteed by the Hong Kong Government, the Exchange Fund, the Hong Kong Mortgage Corporation, MTR Corporation Limited, Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation, Hong Kong Airport Authority, and other corporations, agencies or bodies owned by the Hong Kong Government.
Certificates of Deposits
Issued by authorized institutions with a maturity of at least 12 months, Certificates of Deposits provide a secure investment option. They offer fixed interest rates over the investment period and are considered relatively safe compared to other investment vehicles.
This involves investing in debt instruments issued by authorized institutions. Subordinated debt, while offering potentially higher interest rates, holds a lower priority for repayment in case of insolvency.
Apart from investing 27 HKD million in the abovementioned asset classes, the applicant will also need to place HKD 3 million into a new CIES Investment Portfolio overseen by the Hong Kong Investment Corporation Limited.
Due Diligence and Application
- Invest Hong Kong assesses the applicant’s fulfillment of net asset and investment requirements.
- The Hong Kong Immigration Department evaluates visa and extensions of stay applications.
Approval and Investment
- Successful applicants typically receive permission to stay for up to two years initially.
- Extensions of stay can be sought for up to three years upon the initial authorization’s expiry.
- Subsequent extensions may be applied for, allowing an additional three years each time based on the same criteria.
- After a minimum of seven years of continuous ordinary residence, applicants and their dependents can apply for permanent residency in Hong Kong .
Contact an office nearest to you
With 30 years of immigration experience, each of Harvey Law Group’s lawyers carefully studies each client’s needs, resources and determines the immigration solution that best aligns with our client’s vision and values.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Hong Kong Capital Investment Entrant Scheme offers foreigners the opportunity to obtain residence status by investing HKD 30 million or more in a range of permissible assets, without establishing or operating a business. Note that the government aims to officially launch the scheme and accept applications by mid-2024.
The scheme requirements are as follows:
- Nationality Requirements
The scope of CIES will cover the following individuals:
- Foreign nationals;
- Macao residents;
- Chinese nationals with permanent resident status in a foreign country; and
- Chinese residents of Taiwan.
- Investment Requirements
Main applicants are required to invest not less than HKD 27 million in one or a combination of the following specified assets:
- Equities, notably shares of listed companies on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (“SEHK”);
- Debt securities listed on the SEHK, and the fixed or floating rate instruments and convertible bonds issued or fully guaranteed by the Hong Kong Government, the Exchange Fund, the Hong Kong Mortgage Corporation, MTR Corporation Limited, Hong Kong Airport Authority, and other corporations, agencies or bodies owned by the Hong Kong Government;
- Certificates of Deposits issued by authorized institutions with a remaining term to maturity of not less than 12 months at the time of purchase, subject to a cap of 10% of the minimum investment threshold of HKD30 million;
- Subordinated debt issued by authorized institutions;
- Eligible collective investment schemes including Securities and Futures Commission (“SFC”)-authorized funds, SFC-authorized real estate investment trusts, SFC-authorised Investment-Linked Assurance Schemes, and open-ended fund companies managed by corporations licensed by or institutions registered with the SFC;
- Ownership interest in limited partnership funds; and
- Non-residential real estate including pre-completion properties and excluding land, subject to a cap of HKD 10 million.
Additionally, the main applicant will also need to place HKD 3 million into a new CIES Investment Portfolio overseen by the Hong Kong Investment Corporation Limited. The Portfolio will invest in companies or projects that support the long-term development of Hong Kong’s economy.
- Net Asset Requirement
The main applicant must have net assets of not less than HKD30 million for the two years preceding the application.
- Standard Immigration Requirement
The main applicant must have a clean immigration record and be aged 18 or above.
The spouse/partner and unmarried children of the applicant who are under 18 years of age may qualify as a dependent family member in the application.
A permanent resident in Hong Kong enjoys the legal rights of living, working, and studying anywhere in the region permanently, accessing most social benefits, including public healthcare coverage, and being protected under the Basic Law.
- Under the scheme, two institutions will engage in examining the application:
- Invest Hong Kong will assess whether the applicant fulfills the net asset and investment requirements, and
- the Hong Kong Immigration Department will assess the visa and extensions of stay applications.
- Successful applicants will normally be granted permission to stay for not more than two years.
- Upon the expiry of the authorized stay period, the applicant may apply for an extension of stay for not more than three years
- Further extensions for not more than 3 years will be granted on the same basis.
- After not less than seven years of continuous ordinary residence, the applicant and his dependants may apply for permanent residency in Hong Kong
To obtain permanent residency in Hong Kong, you can consider the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme (CIES). Invest a minimum of HKD 30 million in specified financial assets, fulfill application requirements assessed by Invest Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Immigration Department, maintain continuous residence for at least seven years, then apply for permanent residency for yourself and your dependents.