MALTA RESIDENCE BY INVESTMENT
(Malta golden visa program)
The Malta Permanent Residency Program requires applicants to meet specific investment requirements, including renting or purchasing property in Malta and making several mandatory contributions.
The rental option requires a minimum annual rental of EUR 10,000 in the South of Malta or Gozo, or EUR 12,000 elsewhere, while the purchase option requires a minimum value of EUR 300,000 in the South of Malta or Gozo, or EUR 350,000 elsewhere.
In addition, applicants must pay an administration fee of EUR 40,000, a government contribution of EUR 28,000 or EUR 58,000 (depending on whether they are purchasing or renting property), and a donation of EUR 2,000 to a Malta non-governmental organization. They must also make a contribution of EUR 7,500 per parent/grandparent. The program offers various benefits, such as the right to reside indefinitely in Malta, eligibility to apply for citizenship, and free travel within the Schengen Area.
Malta golden visa advantages
- Dependents include: (1) Spouse or partner; (2) Dependent (unmarried) children of any age (including disabled children); (3) Dependent parents and grandparents.
- Ability to add future spouses and children
- Member of the European Union and Schengen Area
- Right to reside indefinitely in Malta
- Eligible to apply for a work permit
- Free travel in Schengen Area for 90 days in every 180-day period
- High standard education and healthcare system
- A low-cost and tax-efficient jurisdiction
- Right to establish a business in Malta
- No language requirement
- No education or management experience required
- Path for citizenship subject to conditions: i.e. reside in Malta continuously for the first 12 months immediately before the application (not exiting Malta) – and during the period of 6 years immediately preceding those 12 months he/she must have resided in Malta for periods in aggregate for not less than 4 years (or 48 months).
Malta golden visa Investment Options
Must either Rent OR Purchase property in Malta which must be held for at least 5 years and make Mandatory Contributions:
- Property Rental Option
- Rent property with a minimum annual rental of:
- EUR 10,000/year in the South of Malta or Gozo; or
- EUR 12,000/year elsewhere
- Property Purchase Option
- Purchase property with a minimum value of:
- EUR 300,000 in the South of Malta or Gozo; or
- EUR 350,000 elsewhere
- Mandatory Contributions
- Administration Fee of EUR 40,000
- Government contribution of:
- EUR 28,000 if purchasing property; or
- EUR 58,000 if renting property
- EUR 2,000 donation to a Malta Non-Government Organisation
- Contribution of EUR 7,500 per parent/grandparent
Malta golden visa requirements
- Be over 18 years of age and non-EU citizen
- Meet the qualifying investment requirements
- Hold the property investment for a minimum of 5 years
- Have a clean criminal record
- Acquire global health insurance coverage
- Be in good health and of good reputation
- Provide evidence of the source of funds used for the application
- Have sufficient financial resources to support themselves
- Provide proof of assets of at least EUR 500,000, with at least EUR 150,000 in financial assets (to maintain throughout the first 5 years).
- Preparation and submission of the application documents
- Review of the application by Maltese authorities and conducting of background checks
- Obtain approval-in-principle
- Submit proof of health insurance coverage and fulfill the investment requirements
- Complete the biometrics in Malta and application for the permanent residency
- Issuance of the permanent residency certificate and card
- Expected application processing time of 6-8 months
The present document is intended for guidance and general information only and does not constitute or purport to provide you with legal advice. Such information is subject to changes without notice. Each case is unique and depends on the facts and circumstances of the individual and due consideration should be taken if applying the general information to your personal situation. For an evaluation of your personal circumstances one of our legal team would be happy to assist.