What is the ANTIGUA & BARBUDA Citizenship by investment program?
Antigua & Barbuda citizenship-by-investment program. The applicant may select the donation option – starting at USD 100,000 for a family of four – or the real estate option – starting at USD 200,000. Antigua & Barbuda is the most affordable program in the world for large families, under the donation option.
Advantages of Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship
- Citizenship for life, applicable for future generations
- Multiple citizenships is permitted
- Dependents included:
- Children up to 30 years old
- Parents above 55 years old
- Unmarried siblings (any age) of the Applicant or Spouse
- Ability to add future spouse and future children
- Visa-free travel/entry to over 150 jurisdictions
- No language requirement
- Attractive tax regime with zero personal taxes
- Fast physical processing times
- No education or management experience required
- Possibility to live, work and settle in any other member of the CARICOM nations
1. The Donation option
Make a minimum contribution to the National Development Fund (NDF)
• USD 100,000 for families of up to 4 persons
• USD 125,000 for families of 5 or more
Make a minimum contribution to the University of the West Indies (UWI) Development Fund
• USD 150,000 for families of 6 or more persons
• USD 15,000 for each additional dependent
2. The Real Estate option
Make a minimum investment of USD 200,000 in a government-approved real estate project, which must be held for 5-years
View government-approved real estate projects:
- The applicant must be aged 18 years or older
- Be of good character (excludes minor or spent convictions)
- The applicant must not be the subject of a criminal investigation
- Have not been denied a visa from any Antigua and Barbuda visa-free country with no subsequent visa approval
- The applicant and family members must not be suffering from any contagious disease and be in good health
Process (between 3-6 months)
- Complete pre-assessment, KYC and eligibility checks
- Complete all application forms, payment of legal and due diligence fees
- Upon approval, pay balance of the investment, passport fees and other government fees
- Obtain the Certificate of Citizenship and passport
- Applicant and adult dependents must visit Antigua & Barbuda for at least 5 days within the first 5 years and swear an Oath
What is the Citizenship-by-Investment Programme?
Antigua and Barbuda’s Citizenship-by-Investment Programme (“CIP”) offers eligible individuals and their families the opportunity to obtain full legal citizenship and passports upon making a qualifying significant investment in Antigua and Barbuda.
Currently, there are four qualifying investment options:
National Development Fund
- USD 100,000 contribution for a family of up to 4
- USD 125,000 contribution for a family of 5 or more
University of West Indies (UWI) Development Fund
- USD 150,000 contribution for a family of up to 6
- USD 15,000 for each additional dependent
- USD 400,000 investment into an approved real estate project to be held for a minimum of 5 years
- USD 200,000 per applicant for a joint investment
- USD 1,500,000 investment into a qualifying business as a sole investor
- USD 400,000 per applicant for a joint investment into a qualifying business totaling at least USD 5,000,000
Processing fees, due diligence fees, legal fees, government fees and bank fees are additional to the investment amounts above.
Who is eligible to apply for citizenship?
To qualify for citizenship, the primary applicant must be over 18 years old, of good character and must make an investment or contribution in one of the qualifying investment options.
Ineligible applicants are those who:
- Provide false information on their application
- Are or have family members who are suffering from a contagious disease and/or have serious health problems, as stated by a medical practitioner
- Have not received a pardon, and have been convicted in any country, of an offence for which the maximum custodial penalty is in excess of 6 months imprisonment that is not considered as ‘spent’
- Are the subject of a criminal investigation
- Pose a national security risk to Antigua and Barbuda, or any other country
- Are involved in any activity likely to cause disrepute to Antigua and Barbuda
- Have been denied a visa to a country with which Antigua and Barbuda has visa-free travel and who have not subsequently obtained a visa to the country that issued the denial.
Restricted applicants are those who are nationals of:
- North Korea
Nationals of the listed restricted countries are eligible to apply for citizenship through the Antigua and Barbuda CIP if they meet the following:
- Migrated before the age or majority; and/or
- Have permanent residence in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, UAE, UK, or USA for a period of not less than 10 years and maintain no economic ties to any restricted country.
Who qualifies as a Dependent on the application?
- Spouse of the main applicant
- Dependent children of the main applicant or spouse up to 30 years old (proof of attendance at a recognized educational institution is required for children between 18-30 years old)
- Dependent children at least 18 years old and physically and/or mentally challenged who are living with and fully supported by the main applicant
- Parents or grandparents of the main applicant or spouse above 55 years old living with and fully supported by the main applicant
- Unmarried siblings of the main applicant or the Spouse
- A future spouse of the main applicant
- A future spouse of dependent children where the dependent child is financially dependent on the main applicant
- A future child of a dependent child
What are the benefits of citizenship in Antigua and Barbuda?
Antigua and Barbuda’s passport allows visa-free travel to over 150 jurisdictions including Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore, the UK, and the Schengen Area. A full list can be accessed on the CIP website here: https://cip.gov.ag/how-to-apply/passport-visa-requirements/
Multiple citizenship is permitted and citizenship is valid for a lifetime.
WHAT IS THE USUAL PROCESSING TIME?
The processing time is approximately 6 months including application preparation, approval, and issue of certificate of registration and passport.
Do I need to travel or reside in Antigua as part of the citizenship application process?
No, there is no requirement to travel or reside in Antigua prior to obtaining citizenship. However, citizens should spend at least 5 days in Antigua and Barbuda within 5 calendar years after obtaining citizenship and swear an Oath in Antigua. However due to the worldwide Covid-19 Pandemic this requirement is currently suspended.
Do I need to show the source of Funds for my investment?
Yes, applicants are required to show that they have enough funds to make the investment and that the funds have been legally obtained. The type of documents required will vary depending on the source of the investment funds.
Can I use money that has been gifted to me by a friend or family member for the investment?
Yes, applicants can include money that has been gifted by a friend or family member for the investment. In most cases, additional documents will be required from the sponsor regarding their source of funds. The type of documents required will vary depending on the source of the investment funds.
Read also:Grenada Citizenship by Investment
The present document is intended for guidance and general information only and does not constitute or purport to provide you with legal advice. Such information is subject to changes without notice. Each case is unique and depends on the facts and circumstances of the individual and due consideration should be taken if applying the general information to your personal situation. For an evaluation of your personal circumstances one of our legal team would be happy to assist.