Permanent residency in New Zealand
Permanent residency in New Zealand grants you the right to live, work, and study in New Zealand indefinitely. You can also travel to and from New Zealand as you like. To be eligible for permanent residency, you must typically have held a resident visa for at least two years and have met certain other requirements, such as spending a certain amount of time in New Zealand.
For investors, New Zealand offers the Investor Plus Visa, which allows experienced, high-value investors to settle in New Zealand and contribute to the country’s sustainable prosperity and growth
5 Key Points about New Zealand Immigration by Investment Visa
- Indefinite residence status : Successful applicants receive indefinite residency and can include their spouse/partner and children up to 24 years old as dependents.
- Path to permanent residency and citizenship : After four years, applicants can apply for permanent residency, and after five years, they can apply for New Zealand citizenship, subject to requirements.
- Resident visa new zealand benefits : Access to advanced education and healthcare systems, stunning natural beauty, outdoor activities, a strong economy, and a safe and peaceful environment.
- Investment amount : Applicants are required to contribute a theoretical NZD 15 million (about USD 9.3 million), with different investment options having varying weightings toward the threshold.
- Resident visa requirements : Applicants must meet health and character standards, demonstrate English language proficiency, prove legal acquisition of funds, and spend at least 117 days in New Zealand during the four-year investment period.
Resident visa New Zealand benefits
Successful applicants for the New Zealand immigration by investment program will receive indefinite residence status, and they will be able to include their spouse or partner and children up to 24 years old as dependents.
They will also have access to one of the world’s most advanced education systems and a superlative healthcare system. This has made it popular with Americans and many others.
After four years of residency, applicants will have the option to apply for permanent residency, and after five years, they can apply for New Zealand citizenship, subject to meeting language and residency requirements.
New Zealand is also a great place to live with its natural beauty, friendly people, and relatively strong economy.
The country is famous for its breath-taking landscapes, with snow-capped mountains, crystal-clear lakes, and pristine beaches, making it a paradise for nature lovers. Outdoor activities like hiking, skiing and water sports are popular pastimes in New Zealand, providing residents with a healthy and active lifestyle. Close to 20,000 Americans already live in New Zealand and over 50,000 people a year are migrating to the country despite its relatively strict requirements.
Furthermore, New Zealand has a strong and stable economy, with a low unemployment rate and a high standard of living. The country’s high ranking in terms of economic freedom offers a range of opportunities for business and career growth.
Lastly, New Zealand is a safe and peaceful country, with a low crime rate and a strong sense of community. The country promotes a healthy work-life balance, allowing residents to enjoy their personal time with family and friends.
How much money is required for investor visa in New Zealand?
Under the Active Investor Plus visa program, the New Zealand government is looking for each applicant to contribute a “theoretical” NZD 15 million (about USD 9.3 million at the time of writing.) However, acceptable investments carry different weightings toward the NZD 15 million threshold:
- For investment in Listed Equities the weighting is 1:1. Each dollar invested counts as $1.
- For Philanthropic Donations the weighting is 1:1. Each dollar invested counts as $1.
- For Managed Funds the weighting is 1:2. Each dollar invested counts as $2.
- For Direct Investment the weighting is 1:3. Each dollar invested counts as $3.
You can invest in a combination, provided neither of the first two options are more than 50%. You can, for instance, make it all direct investment in which case the amount required is NZD 5 million (or USD 3.1 million) instead of NZD 15 million. The investments can be shifted but you must maintain it for at least 4 years.
Note: New Zealand property investment is not an accepted form, but some of your shareholdings may have companies that are in New Zealand property investments.
What are the New zealand resident visa requirements?
To qualify for the New Zealand Active Investor Plus Visa, applicants must fulfil several requirements.
Firstly, they must meet the country’s health and character standards, which involve providing necessary medical reports and background checks. Additionally, applicants must satisfy a point-based application system, which takes into account factors such as age, investment amount, and business experience.
Furthermore, applicants must also demonstrate proficiency in the English language by obtaining an IELTS score of at least 5. They must also provide evidence that the funds being invested were acquired or earned legally and must transfer the nominated funds within six months of receiving approval-in-principle.
Lastly, to maintain eligibility for the visa, applicants must spend at least 117 days in New Zealand during the four-year investment period.
Request more information about the Permanent residency in New Zealand
In summary, New Zealand offers an unparalleled quality of life and the new Active Investor Plus or New Zealand immigration by investment makes that life attainable for Americans and other nationalities with the available funds. To better understand the New Zealand immigration by investment program, please visit Harvey Law group’s website:
Harvey Law Group (HLG) has been advising on Immigration and Business Law for more than three decades. With 20 offices around the world including in the United States,
To schedule a free consultation, contact us at +1 352 331 7554 or [email protected] to schedule a visit at
Harvey Law Group USA office located at 1395 Brickell Avenue, Miami, Florida 33131.