Citizenship Canada work permit work in Canada


  • The applicant must hold a valid HKSAR or a British National Overseas (BNO) passport
  • The applicant must have graduated no more than 5 years before they apply for this open work permit, with:
    • A degree from a designated post-secondary learning institution, or
    • A diploma for a minimum 2-year program from a designated post-secondary learning institution.
  • The applicant is at least 18 years or older
  • If the applicant completed his post-secondary education outside of Canada, an Educational Credential Assessment will be required in order to qualify for the Canada work permit


  • Submission of application and supporting documents
  • Successful applicants will receive a letter confirming the approval of their open work permit applications
  • Typical processing time is 19 weeks


  • Ability to live and work in Canada for up to 3 years
  • Freedom to work for any employers
  • Freedom to work in any occupation and location in Canada
  • Opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience to support future immigration applications to Canada
  • Opportunity to bring dependent spouse and children to Canada

The present document is intended for guidance and general information only and does not constitute or purport to provide you with legal advice. Such information is subject to changes without notice. Each case is unique and depends on the facts and circumstances of the individual and due consideration should be taken if applying the general information to your personal situation. For an evaluation of your personal circumstances one of our legal team would be happy to assist.

Read also about the Canada start-up program